At Holland Moor School there is a structured programme of teaching and learning within a caring, supportive, well ordered and secure community. We pursue excellence in everything. Through a wide range of other activities we aim to provide the opportunity for all pupils to develop their full potential.
Each child is given the opportunity to:
- acquire knowledge through experience and understanding.
- read fluently with accuracy, understanding and enjoyment.
- write legibly and accurately with proper use of grammar and to communicate thoughts clearly and effectively.
- listen attentively with understanding and to communicate clearly through speech to make thoughts known.
- acquire mathematical skills through practical and exploratory work and to apply these with accuracy to situations in daily life and at home.
- acquire scientific ideas and skills through observation, discovery and investigation and to use the acquired knowledge to assess, analyse and solve problems
- identify, define and solve problems, undertake courses of action, evaluate them and modify these actions accordingly.
- to make informed, responsible and realistic decisions.
- acquire information and knowledge to be used in all aspects of work.
- satisfy special needs to extend individual talents and to develop interests.
- be aware of others and to acquire a set of moral values and judgments, to form self discipline and acceptable behaviour through trust, respect, understanding and manners.
- become aware of different religious communities and beliefs.
- be aware of the geographical and historical aspects of the environment, past, present and future.
- express feelings through poetry, drama, music, art and craft.
- acquire physical co-ordination and agility through P.E., gymnastics, games and dance and to express thoughts in expressive movements.
- experience and contribute to a partnership between the school and the community it serves, to understand the wider community and the ways in which individuals and groups relate to each other.
- prepare for life as adults and citizens, at home, at work and at leisure.
Early years education
Expression of interest documents and application forms are available from the school office which is situated in the main school building. Visits to view our outstanding facilities are encouraged.
A child may join our two year old Nursery Class from the term after their second birthday Free and paid places are available.
Children attending the Nursery can have full-day provision or separate morning and afternoon sessions.
Children transfer to our three-four year old nursery classes at the start of the term following their third birthday. Free 15 and free 30 hour places are available. Extra hours for those children only entitled to 15 hours can be purchased.
Some children join our three-four year old nursery class directly without attending our two year old class. Some children join us from other settings.
Nursery children follow the foundation stage curriculum.
Children normally join the main school by moving into the Reception Class in the September after their 4th birthday. From this time children may attend full time.
The Reception Class has a large teaching space to meet the needs of this age range. The class is often assisted by a Nursery Nurse and Non Teaching Assistant.
The curriculum is based upon an active learning approach that allows all children to continue their study of the foundation stage curriculum. They may also be introduced to the rigours of the broad and balanced demands of the National Curriculum.
Children are generally taught in mixed ability groups but groupings in the class are also arranged according to ability in particular areas.
Children bring reading books home and parents are encouraged/taught how to support their children during these vital early years.
All Key Stage 1 children are taught in classes of less than 30 children.
Curriculum years 1 to 6 (Infant to top junior)
In accordance with National Curriculum requirements Holland Moor children follow a programme of study that is broad, balanced and relevant. At this age the children will be working under the requirements of Key Stage One and Two.
The timetable of most children comprises a core of English, Maths, Science, a basic subject R.E. and the foundation subjects of History, Art and Design, Geography, Music, Design and Technology and P.E. Cross-curricular theme/subjects include Computing and PSHE.
Specialist teaching is available in school for any pupil who experiences difficulty with core subjects. This is done by in-school support and if necessary with the help of outside agencies.
The learning experiences presented to each child are determined by the National Curriculum, the School Aims and County Policy, but more importantly by the needs of the individual child. Full details of the National Curriculum are freely available at the school with test scores and reports frequently issued to parents.
Our aims are not always identifiable with separate areas but develop through all the work of the school. Opportunities are sought to integrate work from a variety of sources, but to ensure a broad and balanced education the curriculum is organised into those core, foundation and basic areas of experience outlined above.
The school has produced guidelines/schemes of work in all these subjects/areas of experience and these are freely available for all interested persons. All teaching materials are also open to inspection.
If any parent/carer or other interested person wants to find out more about the curriculum we follow, please contact the headteacher;
Mr M Beale,
Tel: 01695 725062 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will be happy to provide copies of
- subject policy documents
- sample lesson plans
- sample medium term plans
- sample PowerPoint presentations produced for lessons
If any parent/carer requests a paper copy of any information from the school website this will be provided free of charge.
School Opening Hours
- We've had some wonderful writing in RK. After sounding out CVC words, the children wrote them trying their best to… https://t.co/z2xDv7tDHQ 11 months
- The children in Class 2O loved learning about the artist Krista Harris. They used pastels, and the "rubbing" techni… https://t.co/XpayAT4Mn4 11 months
- 6S thoroughly enjoyed responding to artwork by Krista Harris. https://t.co/4KOHCGGc9w 11 months